Thursday, September 23, 2010

I seriously underestimated nursing school!

So I got a four year Bachelor's degree back in 2005 in Psychology. I thought it was pretty hard and I felt pretty good about myself for finishing (especially because I was pregnant with my oldest during the last semester). When I decided to go back to school for an Associate's degree in nursing, I thought it would be a piece of cake. It's just an associate's degree- and it's from a local community college. How hard could it be?

Little did I know it would be the most difficult thing I've done yet! First of all, it is very difficult to get into a nursing program. I was one of over 800 applicants- and only 100 of us got in. Every semester, about a quarter of us flunk out- so our class keeps getting smaller and smaller. I have to juggle clinicals, tests, check offs, media labs, skills practices, and lectures. I have to write care plans, memorize skills precisely step by step, and study my rear off for exams. We only get grades for our exams- and there are only 3-4 exams per semester. Which means if you mess up on ONE exam, you could flunk the class (flunking is below a 77%, BTW). If you preform a skill wrong on the first try, you get a second try a couple of weeks later. If you don't do it right the second time, you get kicked out of the program. If you don't pass the medication calculation math exams with 100%, you also get kicked out of the program.

After allllllll of this, I have to take the NCLEX after I graduate (which costs over $300). If I don't pass the NCLEX, I have to wait several weeks and take it again (another $300). I can take a class to prepare me for the NCLEX- but I'll have to shell out another $500.

Many of us in my program are non traditional students. We are moms, some with full time jobs, wives, and husbands. It is not easy!

Luckily I've been blessed with a VERY supportive husband. He is so good at helping me with the house work, taking care of the kids, and giving me time to sleep when I've worked the graveyard shift. He cooks when I'm too tired, and hugs me when I'm crying because of the stress. I don't think I could do it without him.

Heaven help me make it through this last 8 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment